Torrent Softwares are used for downloading files with P2P technology (peer-to-peer protocol). However, the Torrenting nature is very risky. Despite P2P file-sharing technology being undeniably useful, threat exposure is still a major concern in the community. That means using a VPN to surf the internet is no surprise.
Torrent clients let you search files online, download, and manage them quickly at one accessible place. The two most popular torrent clients that are widely used across the world are ‘uTorrent’ and ‘BitTorrent’ clients. BitTorrent has an unpalatable reputation which is sometimes well deserved as well as unfair.
BitTorrent has a logjam feature that addresses when there are too many people trying to download a particular file from a single host at the same time. Files like latest movies of netflix, bootlegged TV shows on hulu, DRM-free books or ebooks, hot music tracks, graphic-intensive games, etc.
BitTorrent distributes the pieces of the files to each downloader that benefits the file to get more popularity instead of getting bottlenecked. Moreover, it is decentralized. Meaning that it doesn’t have any main server that sets it free from getting choked and pressurized under traffic.
All this boils down to just one thing that torrenting is indeed a clever idea. It can be used for both legitimate and non-legitimate purposes. Its decentralized nature makes it an illegal way to share personal copyrighted material. We will discuss this in the latter part of this discussion, but first, we will study the use of torrent clients and using Best VPN For Torrenting In 2021
Is VPN Torrenting Safe?
As you already know, using the P2P file-sharing protocol gets you access to unknown and malicious files from various anonymous sources. Therefore it’s best to always imply a layer of security to keep your private information hidden from the public or stay away from any malware.
The best way to do this is by using a VPN service that provides all kinds of security and anonymity essential for your data and identity protection. Among all the other benefits, torrenting VPNs ensure the anonymity of your identity whenever you share or download torrents. It ensures that the internet traffic sent and received by your computer is completely encrypted.
The danger is not just limited to downloading illegitimate content accidentally. The way a P2P server network is designed is that whenever you are torrenting, all your personal data and information become public. While getting exposed to public knowledge, anyone with IT expertise or any internet troll can track your online activities. Therefore it’s a must to have a good quality VPN service for torrenting purposes that will ensure none of your personal information or identity is compromised.
Do I Need a VPN for Torrenting?
Despite the efforts done by the governments of different countries and ISPs (Internet Service Providers) in an attempt to stop the torrent services, downloading movies, tv shows, music, games, software just won’t stop. These P2P torrenting are extremely popular, and of course, we don’t condone any activity related to copyright breaching, but we do care about the safety of the general public. That’s why we recommend you to use the Best VPN For Torrenting 2021.
BitTorrent or uTorrent has earned a good reputation for being one of the best pirating tools, which has also led to its indiscriminate crackdowns. To overcome the restrictions and protect your online privacy while torrenting, using Best VPN For Torrenting is the right thing to do. With a VPN, your internet traffic remains encrypted and secured. Your network details aren’t exposed to the public, and no one would know what you are doing while torrenting.
VPN services have come a long way for data security and privacy assurance. But the real question is if it’s an ultimate and rock-solid method of cybersecurity. While raising this topic, we often come across some tools like VPN or any other third-party network hider that will make work easier. However, if someone has made up their mind to invest their valuable time and money to attack you specifically, with the help of law enforcement or a record label, they will do it regardless.
People desperate to meet their desires will eventually get what they are after from you. Therefore, VPN alone can’t provide a layered approach of security. Moreover, it can't replace other critical tools like anti-viruses, password managers, two-factor authentications, etc.
Things To Lookout For While Choosing Best VPN For Torrenting In 2021
The VPN that you must pick should not just support uTorrent or BitTorrent, but other torrent clients too. The VPN must have all the features and tools necessary for torrenting.
We have tested and analyzed all kinds of VPN services thoroughly and came to the conclusion that there are two most important requirements for torrenting, and these are simultaneous connections, good connection speed and excellent security. That’s why IPVanish VPN connection made it into our top list for not only having excellent security services but also for having loads of features like split tunneling and kill switch.
Also, you have to search for a VPN with strict encryption protocols and tons of security smarts. It needs to have a zero-logs recording policy which is essential for all VPN providers, and have them audited independently.
Apart from all the above-mentioned features, what’s more essential is the download speed. After all, what good is a VPN service that can’t even provide a stable internet connection in spite of having high speed wi-fi connection. The speed throttles so much that the downloading crawl at the pace of a turtle.
Good internet speed is what defines how good a VPN is. If the download speed is crawling, then it violates the most important benefits of using P2P networks protocol services in the first place. Also, while using a VPN, your ISP won’t know if you are torrenting. That means that they can't selectively throttle down your internet speed.
Therefore we recommend you to use IPVanish VPN, which we found was the most useful out of all. It has watertight features for any potential DNS leaks and has a kill switch. It turns off the internet connection in case the VPN stops working, thus protecting your IP address from getting unsafe.
Are VPNs Really Helpful If It Interplays With Torrent Clients?
We often get this question from people that is it really safe and helpful if VPN and torrent clients like uTorrent or BitTorrent interplay besides each other? Well, the answer could be a little bit tricky as it totally depends upon which VPN service you are using.
Some VPNs have admissions of piracy included, and they have justifications for it too. No matter how small or problematic the piracy crime is, the law is the law. The ISPs and some web companies are forced to answer to the copyright holders regarding the offenses committed on their infrastructure.
If you are using BitTorrent, uTorrent, or any other third party torrent client for any reason, you are at your own luck. Suppose you are using a VPN service, fair enough. But just make sure that you go through their terms and conditions policy before you choose to download a single file from the torrent database. Also, take your time to read the local laws and penalties of torrenting and obey them wisely.
Therefore, the shortest answer that we came up with for the topic is ‘Yes’; a VPN service can definitely protect all of your online activities and hide them from your ISP. It makes it tougher for anyone from the outside to recognize the incoming and outgoing internet traffic as yours. This is beneficial when you have iffy torrenting habits. It can also protect your private data and information in general.
Recently, an online survey was conducted with 1,000 users, and it was found that over 25% of the people named their ISPs as being the biggest reason for their privacy leak and suspicious monitoring. We don’t know to what extent this survey was true, but at least for now, we know that law enforcement has compelled and undermined protection provided by VPNs and Tor.
Sometimes, the problem is not with your ISP but with the VPN itself. Some VPN companies claim to keep their user’s privacy safe but notoriously keep the logs, IP addresses, and or activities saved. You can obtain these copious logs only through law enforcement. But in our list of Best VPN For Torrenting, we check and review them ourselves, check how they interplay with law enforcement and bring it to your attention.
Best VPNs for Torrenting
As our topic for this page, we are relieved to announce that the VPNs we have mentioned are completely fine while interplaying with torrent clients like BitTorrent and uTorrent. None of the VPNs mentioned prohibit file sharing, so you are in luck. Some of them will allow BitTorrent to work only when it is connected to a specific server or VPN.
NordVPN allows torrenting only on specific servers, and it’s mentions this in their user interface. The TorGuard VPN has a different way of working where it doesn’t have any restrictions on the user’s traffic. Therefore you can use torrents as much as you can. IPVanish VPN has different subscription plans based on the user’s usage statistics that provide an upper edge over any other VPN on the list with better security.
It also came to our attention that almost all the VPN services that allow torrent surfing also explicitly prohibit from breaking any private copyright laws or abuse the powers of VPN. Some VPNs like IPVanish have developed some dedicated tools that are specifically used to make the torrenting experience better. They have static IP addresses that you can purchase. New technology like WireGuard provides faster speeds than the old VPN protocols.
Here are some of the in-depth information about the Best VPN For Torrenting that you may find useful:
- Internet Speed: Whenever you are using a VPN service, the web traffic passes through the fiber and machines. The practical approach to understanding this concept is that internet speed is affect by the increase in distance. This instantly becomes a reason for the long wait of downloading large files. However, we think that we should not evaluate the potential of a VPN service just based on the speed testing metric. But then again, that remains one of the major concerns of every torrent user. In our latest study, we tested the internet speed capabilities with and without running various VPNs, and it came to light that IPVanish topped the list with the highest score amongst other VPNs like Pia VPN etc.
- Reliability: The unwanted stops and breaks of the data and distance produced by VPNs could be very disturbing and annoying while doing normal browsing on your chrome or your macos. Processes like sudden connectivity loss or VPN reset while downloading a large torrent file happens in day-to-day life. Losing the connectivity in the middle of torrent downloading or even surfing leaves your IP address, private internet access and private data exposed to the public. Therefore, it’s highly recommended to use a VPN that has Kill Switch that prevents applications from sending or receiving any web traffic while the VPN is disconnected. This is where IPVanish VPN shines as they have DNS protection with Kill Switch technology that stops your browser’s incoming and outgoing traffic when the VPN disconnects. It’s up to the torrent client downloader whether to stop the downloading process completely or have complete protection on the internet traffic.
- Location: Almost all VPNs have their servers set all across the world. Every VPN service provider has to have their company’s headquarters somewhere on earth. And that somewhere has their own data retention laws, which the VPN company needs to have for user data maintenance for a selected time period. It can be tough to figure out what type of information is collected by a VPN company and the maintenance time. To find the answer, you might have to scroll through neverending FAQ pages and terms & conditions. Therefore, it’s not considered a great service if the VPN company you chose can’t even explain the information properly and the service they provide. IPVanish VPN representatives put a lot of effort into the customer’s privacy security with the help of encrypts. You can go through their review page to get answers. The laws of national and international data storage are difficult and changing constantly.
- Torrent Traffic Encryption: Most importantly, all this effort will go in vain if there’s an absence of encryption on the downloaded content. Thus, you must be aware of the VPN service that you chose, which is by far the easiest way for privacy encryption.
Best VPN For Torrenting In 2021
As already discussed before, Torrenting without any VPN is just inviting more troubles. However, there’s a lot of things that you need to be aware of before choosing your Best VPN For Torrenting In 2021.
There are best free VPN available too, but we won’t recommend using them as it comes with their own complications. They are a poor choice of many torrents for being slow and unreliable.
Therefore, we have covered the best VPN services in detail that we thought were worth mentioning in our article. Here the quick round-up for that:
IPVanish VPN has been able to secure a top spot in our list simply because of its end-to-end data encryption environment on your network. It has the fastest VPN service for different types of smartphones. IPVanish VPN helps to secure your web browsing, YouTube streaming, file sharing, etc.
When it comes to selecting the best servers, IPVanish beats its competitors by miles. It has the best privacy policies and is primarily built with the perspective of making the torrenting experience safe and easier.
IPVanish is among those few VPN services that explicitly mention the P2P traffic activities on its network with the help of advertisements. It has both L2TP and OpenVPN protocols with 256-bit encryption. Moreover, the shared IP addresses have a built-in feature with the capability of switching between the IP addresses periodically after every hour.
Another amazing thing about IPVanish VPN is that it has a No-Logs policy. This makes all kinds of torrent activities untraceable. Therefore everything explained above boils down to one thing that IPVanish is the best you can get from the market for everyday work and web surfing. It has all the special features like SOCKS5 proxy, Kill Switch, no logs policy, ipv6 protocols, risk-free privacy features along with P2P file-sharing at Ultra-fast speed.
Some other features include:
- Over 40,000 IPs, more than 1,300 number of servers on more than 75 server locations.
- Unlimited bandwidth data for throttling or transferring network connection
- 256-AES industry-grade encryption support.
- No traffic logs policy support, which means that your VPN session information is not stored anywhere.
- Unlimited peer-to-peer networking.
- SOCKS5 proxy and aes-256 enables an extra level of protection over the personal IP addresses in VoIP and P2P connections.
- Multiple VPN protocol support – OpenVPN, L2TP/IPsec, IKEv2, and PPTP, aes-256
- Connection via TCP protocol support or UDP – Transmission Control Protocol and User Datagram Protocol
- Unlimited Server Switching
- Multiple account handling using ten connection on several devices
- Deep Packet Inspection protection
- Multi-platform support – Windows, iOS, Macos, Android, Amazon FireStick, Linux, Windows phone, and even Chromebook
- Kill switch, Split tunneling, port forwarding support.
- Accessibility to banned content in that particular region
- Easy to use user interface design, Kodi media system compatibility
- Easy navigation
- Live chat support
- IP address leak security
- DNS leak protection
- TOR compatibility
- 30-day money-back guarantee
In simple words, Express VPN is a good vpn and has everything that you would accept from a VPN company. It is one of the best VPNs for torrenting on the list, and the reasons are countless. It is fast. Our team has tested and checked its connection speed tests in many different servers across the world. They found out the best reliable connections among other VPNs in the list. This is what gives ExpressVPN an advantage over other VPNs on the list.
The Kill Switch works amazingly on desktop and android phones. Although iOS does not have this feature, you can use the auto-reconnect option for most of the torrenting sessions on iPhone or iPad. They accept payments in Bitcoins too.
The Split Tunneling feature on both Mac and Windows is highly beneficial as it allows you to choose your own torrent client and protect it. This means that you can leave online activities such as torrenting, gaming, web surfing totally unaffected with the help of ExpressVPN.
In case you face any problem with their service, you can contact their customer support via email or live chat which is active 24/7. ExpressVPN BVI offshore jurisdiction also makes it worth mentioning for the protection of your anonymity. Therefore, it’s independently audited.
The price of ExpressVPN is slightly higher than most of the VPN companies on the list. But it’s certainly worth every penny you pay to have the Best VPN For Torrenting.
Whenever there are discussions about Virtual Private Network companies, NordVPN will always make highlights. It’s one of the first names that comes to mind. You get outstanding ultra-secure connections with both OpenVPN and IKEv2/IPsec protocols support. It has its own super-fast NordLynx version. The presence of a ‘Double VPN’ server helps to pass your internet data through two VPN servers separately to give you additional security.
Unlike any other VPN, which barely has any logging policy, NordVPN has passed an extra step by introducing external site auditors like PricewaterhouseCooper for the security app verifications. There’s a bug bounty program that provides incentives to anyone who uncovers and reports any problems related to the security service.
P2P is not available on some servers, but it still covers most of the VPN servers. It has an automated Kill Switch feature for Windows, Android, iOS, and Mac (the installation procedure is as simple as in Android). The DNS leak blocking provides great performance with good download speeds.
It also support Payments by Cryptocurrencies (including Bitcoin). You can get your payments cancel and get your money back within 30-days. They have different plants set annually, which is value for money.
Hotspot shield has been able to build its reputation for the past few years for its high-speed VPN torrenting. It has a unique Catapult Hydra protocol that ramps up the internet speed to greater bandwidth than OpenVPN can ever manage. Therefore, letting Hotspot Sheild run in the background won’t reduce the torrent speed.
Hotspot Sheild has plenty of service in its arsenal. It has P2P support on over 1,500+ servers across the world. The online support is reliable, too, in addition to 24/7 live chat in case you need any further assistance.
Kill Switches are present on the desktop and Android. We understand that if you are an active torrenter, you know the need to live streaming safely and expansively. Hotspot Shield could be your ideal solution for VPN streaming. Moreover you can get access to geo-restricted content from anywhere in the world.
The no-logging policy of Hotspot Shield is worth mentioning to give you more confidence about its privacy credentials. Hotspot Sheild developers do admit that there are few logging of sessions. However, it’s not that harmful.
There’s a reason why Sufshark is on our list of Best VPN For Torrenting In 2021. However, it’s mostly because of its price. It has one of the cheapest VPN subscription prices, which makes it an outright winner. It has a rock-bottom multi-year plan.
Surfshark really has it all in terms of features and tons of services to back up its status in the community. Peer-to-peer (P2P) support is available on most servers, DNS servers, Bitcoin payments, URL blocking, Ad Blocking, and even Split tunneling. If you are facing any issues with the working of the Surfshark work-frame, then you can mail or live chat with their customer support available 24/7.
Talking about the subscription plans, one subscription covers any device. Therefore, you can access Sufshark services on PC, mobile, MAC, TV streaming services, gaming consoles, and even on routers.
It has a kill switch on Android, iOS, Mac, and Windows, which makes Surfshark the only VPN service on our list to cover all four platforms. However, there are some minor issues on Windows while testing. We found that there was no prior warning before any connection drop. But then again, all these flaws don’t make Surfshark any worse because of the fantastic VPN service it provides.
How To Install IPVanish On Mac And Windows
We have already mentioned the Best VPN For Torrenting In 2021 above in our article, and clearly, we can see that there are many VPN services that are not the same when we compare their performance, speed, protection, and other security features.
This is where IPVanish shines and has a huge library of features necessary for torrenting. Therefore, we will take a look at the steps to download and install IPVanish VPN on the two most widely used devices, which are Windows and Mac. So let’s dive straight into it.
Install IPVanish On Windows:
- Visit https://www.ipvanish.com website and go to Apps > Windows > Download Windows App
- Open the downloaded file run it
- Set the Install Location of the application. We recommend you let the installation files be in the default location. However, in case you have external drives, you can click Browse and select the appropriate drive for the application installation. Click Install
- A pop-up window will open, click Yes
- Another pop-up window will open, click Run, and then Yes
- After the installation procedure is complete, the application will redirect you to its user interface. Here it will ask you to put your IPVanish login credentials. Sign up with your email id and password. After you are provided with your IPVanish login credentials, hit the SIGN IN button.
Install IPVanish On Mac:
- Visit https://www.ipvanish.com website and go to Apps > Mac > Download Windows App
- Open the downloaded file from the Downloads folder
- Drag and drop the IPVanish application to the application folder for the installation
- If you don’t have an account, click on Sign Up and get your login credentials. After doing that, enter your username and password in the respective fields while the Mac client is running. Press LOGIN
- After you login into the IPVanish database, a popup window will appear with a message saying BEGIN TUTORIAL. Click that if you are a first-time user, or you can just press the SKIP icon to move further.
- After entering into the IPVanish user interface, choose country, city, and server. Click The CONNECT button and continue browsing on uTorrent.
This is the proper way to use uTorrent with a VPN for safe downloads. So now you can safely download any TV series or movie with the help of the uTorrent VPN. Moreover, you can do this in a safe and secure way.
How Does IPVanish VPN Protect You From Attacks And Make Torrenting Safe
IPVanish is a great VPN that allows 10 different connections simultaneously for safe torrenting. Each server has multiple IP addresses and every connected device is being provided with a unique IP address. Doing this makes your system identity safe and makes sure the connection speed remains constant.
Some features include:
- 6,000+ servers with 60+ country coverage
- Zero Bandwidth Caps
- Up to 10 devices torrenting ability at the same time
- 256-AES encryption
- 7-day return policy
Is VPN Torrenting Legal?
Torrenting in itself isn’t legal simply because of its file-sharing nature of private, copyrighted content. Otherwise, it’s fine when you are just sharing information across different machines in the form of small packets. This is also called P2P or peer-to-peer sharing, which allows fast and efficient data transfer between computers.
It becomes illegal when you are sharing private information of the right holders’ content. For example, a movie, music label, or a TV show that is owned by a company and you are not paying for it.
VPN Disclaimer – We do not condone the illegal use of VPN services. The consumption of pirated content that is normally paid for is not approve or endorsed by Cord Cutters Anonymous. All VPN services should be used for legal recreational purposes only. If you are using a VPN to access a service from abroad, please read that service's terms and conditions.