The inclination towards cutting the cords has been on the rise. Various platforms have designed many new and innovative solutions. One such platform that fully supports eliminating traditional television is DirecTV Stream (AT&T TV).
AT&T TV history dates back to November 2016, and DirecTV Stream was launched in August 2021. It is an excellent internet-based streaming platform like YouTube TV, Sling TV, Hulu Live TV, FuboTV, Philo, and many more.
DIRECTV is a live tv streaming service in the United States that gives you access to many channels. It houses more than 65 channels depending on the selected plan. You can enjoy on-demand video content and watch live channels with DirecTV Stream. It is one of the most renowned alternatives to Cable TV. All you need is a television equipped with an internet facility to take full advantage of DirecTV Stream.
You do not have to worry about missing your favorite tv shows or channels programs because it lets you record those. DirecTV Stream is compatible with many devices to stream the app through any of the compatible devices. DirecTV Stream also offers its own exclusive DirecTV Stream Device. This device is a very versatile device available with voice controls.
DirecTV Stream targeted the needs of the cord-cutters and came up with an efficient solution. It frees the customers from the hassles of wires and long-term contracts. There are many more striking features of DirecTV Stream. Here are some points about DirecTV Stream that you should know:
DirecTV Stream is a very affordable live tv streaming service. Any package you choose will have channels like ABC, Fox, CBS, NBC, PBS.
It costs $69 + taxes per month for the basic entertainment package. It houses all the essential channels. Unlike the traditional cable TV service, there are no hidden costs. Not only this, but this package includes 40,000 on-demand titles also.
The upgrade of the entertainment package is known as CHOICE™. The cost of this package is $85 + taxes. You can enjoy more than 90 channels along with the regional sports channels. It is the most commonly chosen package among sports fans. It offers 45000 on-demand titles.
You can get the Ultimate package by paying $95 per month + taxes. It is inclusive of the main sports, news, and movie channels. This package suits all categories of viewers well. The on-demand titles range from about 55,000.
The premier package comes with a “The one with the most” tagline. It offers 140+ channels, and premium channels are also included with it. It costs $140 per month + taxes. With this package, you can get 65,000 on-demand titles.
Digital Video Recorder, as the name suggests, fosters storing and recording of live television, which you might have to miss watching. You can avail 20 hours of cloud DVR storage with all packages of DirecTV Stream. It allows you to watch your favorite channels, shows, or movies whenever you want by recording them.
Recording the HD video content will give you the autonomy of choosing your preferred time to catch up on the programs. Get access to unlimited Cloud DVR recording time by paying $10 extra per month. Be it any package you want to opt for, DirecTV Stream will pave the way for you to record all the seasons of your favorite show.
You can skip the commercials by fast-forwarding them and enjoy seamless streaming because of DirecTV Stream's Cloud DVR. Plus, it won't let your family fight over the remote, as you can record more than one show at one particular time.
You do not have to worry about watching DirecTV Stream while others are streaming the same account on other devices. DirecTV Stream allows the viewers to stream 20 screens at the same time. To do so, the 20 compatible devices on which you want to stream should be connected to your home network.
How to Check if your Device is Connected to the Home Network?
Devices connected to the home network just need to be signed into the DirecTV Stream app. You might want to check whether or not your phone or tablet is connected to the home network.
- Go to the settings in the DirecTV Stream app.
- Select Location Preferences from the Location Settings
- Now you can check it from ‘Home Location.'
- If connected to the home network, it will show ‘connected.'
- You will see ‘Not Connected' if the device is not connected to the home network
However, if you have changed your network or the internet service provider, an option to update your Home Network is available 4 times in 1 year period.
How to Update your Home Network?
Since you can choose to update your network only 4 times, do it only if you have actually moved or changed the provider. You can update it in your connected device by following steps:
- Open the DirecTV Stream app
- Go to the Preferences from the Settings option
- Choose ‘Location Settings' and ‘Set New Home Location' after that.
- You can update your new location from here.
Simultaneous Streams on Not Connected Devices
DirecTV also allows you to stream simultaneously on devices that are not connected to the home network. But there is a limit to that. At one particular time, you can stream DirecTV only on 3 devices that are out of the home network. However, the limit of streams remains 20, and 3 available out-of-home network streams would be counted towards the total number 20.
There are some networks that you can not stream on up to 20 compatible streaming devices. These networks have a simultaneous streaming limit of up to 3 compatible devices, even for devices connected to home networks. Here is the list of those channels:
- Big Ten Network
- Fox News
- Fox Deportes
- Fox Business
- Fox Local Channels
- NHL Network
DirecTV Stream does not force any annual contracts on its viewers. It is a great advantage for people wanting to move from the traditional cable or satellite network providers. It offers monthly packages, and hence the fees of subscribing to it. There is no fee if you wish to stop the subscription for the coming months.
Formerly known as AT&T TV, DirecTV Now had a 2-year contract. No doubt, it came with some notable advantages but bounded the viewers like the cable TVs. DirecTV Stream offers the option of an agreement of up to 2 years, and with it comes the DirecTV Stream Device. It has no additional charges for it. You can opt for the agreement to avail of this benefit, although it is not compulsory.
For those who do not have any streaming device already and want access to DirecTV Stream, this 24-month agreement is suitable. It will be economical and let you avail the device's many benefits.
DirecTV Stream can be streamed on a variety of different devices. You can stream it on almost any phone, TV, computer, or tablet you possess. DirecTV Stream account is the foremost requirement for using the DirecTV app. Here is the list of the compatible devices that would foster the smooth operation of DirecTV Stream:
- DirecTV Stream Device
- Amazon Fire TV Stick
- Amazon Fire TV Cube
- Mobile Phones or Tablets which have a running android version of 7.1 or more. An Operating System of Android 8+ is recommended.
- 4th Generation Apple TV
- iPhones, iPads, and iPod Touch
- 2nd generation or more Chromecast
- Roku devices
- Some models of 2017-2020 Samsung TVs
Edge Browser (Microsoft), 68 or higher version of Chrome browser and Safari Browser also supports streaming of DirecTV Stream.
AT&t TV got rebranded in August of 2021 and is now serving under the name Direct TV. However, even with the new name, the Streaming channel lineup has retained its long list of entertainment channels. The platform includes both regional and national channels.
The total number of channels that you can enjoy with a DirecTV Stream account is more than 140. Depending upon the packages you are opting for, the channels differ. As already mentioned, there are 4 types of packages available at DirecTV Stream that you can choose.
- In the Entertainment Plan, which costs $65 per month, there are 34 channels from the Top 35 Channels list. You can stream local channels as well in this plan. In this package, you get access to a total of more than 65 channels.
This package includes channels such as A&E, AMC, BET, Bravo, CNN, Cartoon Network, Comedy Central, ESPN, HGTV, MTV, and many more. Premium movie channels are also included in the first three months of this subscription. To know more about this package, you can visit the DirecTV Stream Official Website.
- To get an upgraded version of the base package, you can choose the Choice Package. It costs $85 + tax per month and has more than 90 live channels in it. Local TV Channels are also available in this package. Along with the channel subscription included in the Entertainment Package, the Choice package has many more additional channels. It emphasizes greatly on the sports networks.
The additional channels include CLEO TV HD, COMEDY TV, NBA TV, TV One, Cheddar News, MLB Network, and many more. Regional Sports Networks like Fox Sports RSN and Bally Sports Arizona, pro sports networks like MLB Network, and College Sports Networks like SEC Network are also a part of the Choice Package.
For the first three months of subscription, you will get Cinemax, Showtime and Epix included in your package. You can learn more about Choice Package by visiting DirecTV Stream.
- For all movie lovers, DirecTV Stream has made an ultimate package. It has more than 125 live channels included in it at a cost equaling $95 + taxes per month. Regional Sports Networks are included in this package as well. The additional channels are the Golf channel, Baby TV, Lifetime movie channel, CBS Sports Network, ESPNEWS, BBC World News, additional Disney Channels, and many more.
With this package, you will be able to enjoy HBO Max for a period of 3 months with no additional costs.
- Premier Package has the maximum channels with it (more than 140 live channels). It has free inclusion of Cinemax, Showtime, HBO Max, and Epix for the first three months. The total cost for this package sums up to $140 + taxes per month. Shop the Premier Package now.
By paying some extra payment, you can also add additional channels and networks with any of your packages. DirecTV Stream has specified the channels that can be added. You can get access to Showtime at $11 per month, EPIX for $6 per month, Cinemax for $11 per month, Starz for $11 per month, and HBO Max for $15 per month.
The speed of the internet alters your viewing experience. A better speed of internet connection can enhance your experience. Generally, to watch a standard definition video, an internet connection speed of a minimum 3Mbps is required. It ranges from 3Mbps to 10Mbps (Megabits per second).
Consequently, to stream in HD, HDR, or 4K resolution, a better internet speed is necessary. You improve the quality of your streaming by checking your internet speed.
DirecTV Stream, on average, requires an internet speed of minimum 8Mbps of wired or Wi-Fi connections at home for one Stream. You would need more speed according to the number of streams you want.
For instance, for streaming DirecTV on 10 devices, an internet speed of 80Mbps is recommended. It will let you enjoy your on-demand content and play smoothly without any glitches or frozen speed. You can check your internet speed from here.
Watching DirecTV Stream through your mobile device has different internet speed requirements. You can watch DirecTV Stream on your mobile phone connected to mobile data with a minimum speed of 150Kbps. The ideal speed for Standard Definition video content ranges from 150Kbps to 2.5Mbps.
If you want to watch in HD quality to the maximum of 1080p, then the recommended internet speed is 2.5Mbps to 7.5Mbps. The better quality you want, the more bandwidth would be used. You can select the video quality to be medium or low in case your internet connection has limited bandwidth.
DirecTV Stream can be accessed without any specific hardware from the company. All you need is a web application of DirecTV Stream, an account, and any compatible device equipped with an internet connection. DirecTV Stream app can be installed on both Android and iOS devices.
Still, if you want to upgrade your experience and make it more convenient, DirecTV Stream Device is here for you. You can get access to many more additional features by purchasing this device. It is a very user-friendly stream device that lets you have access to more than 7000 apps, including Netflix.
DirecTV Stream Device comes with a voice remote. It will make your streaming and use of DirecTV Stream very easy. With one click, you can go to your favorite apps and control all the settings like volume, change channels, pause, start, rewind, fast forward, and many more.
Installing the DirecTV Stream Device is a very easy process. After the setup, you can manage your live TV, install apps, watch your favorite shows or movies with the remote. Here are the steps that will guide you while you are installing DirecTV Stream Device:
- The first and foremost step is connecting it to the HDMI port of your television. You will have to plug in one end of the HDMI cable to your TV and the other end to your DirecTV Stream Device. The HDMI cable will be included in the box.
- You can connect an ethernet cable if you want a wired internet connection.
- Insert the power cable into the device at the back and then plug it into an outside power outlet. Once done, the front of the device will show a blinking red light.
- Choose the correct HDMI Input on the TV screen by the Source or Input button on the Device remote.
- Pair the DirecTV Stream remote with your smart TV. Press and hold the FAST FORWARD and REWIND buttons for a few seconds (2-3 seconds, typically). Make sure that you have kept the remote pointed towards your TV. You will see a message on the screen when it has been successfully paired.
- After pairing the remote, connect the TV connected with the device with the Wi-Fi connection. Choose your Wi-Fi connection name from the list and then enter your password with the remote. The DirecTV Stream Device will look for updates and may even reboot.
- Sign in by entering your user ID and password. Hit the Sign-in option after you have entered the details.
- The screen will show you the Terms & Conditions. Review and accept it.
- You can log into your Google Account by entering your Google ID and password.
- The device remote has Google Assistant enabled. You can enjoy the voice controls. All you have to do is press the Mic Button of the remote. A blue light will appear; you can give voice commands after that.
- The top of the remote has 3 buttons- On, Input and Off. The Input button is used to select the equipment or device connected to the TV.
- Below are the guide, home, and list buttons. The guide button shows the programs that are currently airing. All channels are displayed in the form of a grid. You can check the shows airing currently and 14 days from that time.
- The home button takes you to the home screen.
- The List button shows the Library and recordings stored in the DVR.
- All the navigation buttons are placed in the form of a square with an OK button in the middle.
- Within the square are the Record, Exit, Back, and Overflow buttons.
- Press the record button to record the program currently playing and press it twice to record the full series.
- Toggles for volume and channels are placed below the square.
- The next row of buttons includes the Mute, Mic, and PREV buttons. Press the mute button to cease all sounds. The PREV button would take you to the previous channels or video playing.
- Rewind, play/pause, and fast forward buttons are placed in another row in the downward direction.
- You will see the 12 rubber buttons in the remote resembling a keyboard of your phone.
There are not many cons of DirecTV Stream. It is a very impressive platform catering to the needs of its viewers. However, here are some of the things that are worth considering:
- The simultaneous Stream on devices outside the home network is only allowed up to 3 devices. It is a grave limitation as it will be a hassle if you and your family want to stream DirecTV Stream while traveling.
- Only 20 hours of DVR storage is included with any package you choose for. An additional payment of $10 is required to get access to unlimited Cloud DVR Storage.
- The live streaming of programs and channels is approximately 30 seconds delayed. The delay is more in DirecTV Stream than any of its competitors.
- If you want regional sports networks, the cheapest package costs $85 + taxes per month.
In conclusion, DirecTV Stream is a very popular Cable TV alternative in the United States. It lets you stream Live TV without Cable very conveniently. It is very important to go through all the comparisons and know the platform fully before paying for any subscription. In this review, we have tried to cover all the necessary things you must know about DirecTV Stream.
The new users can go through the initial steps of setting up the DirecTV Stream Device. Still, if you want to know more about DirecTV Stream or DirecTV Stream Device, you can visit their website to learn more.